I. Definition : Pouring our hearts to Him (Ps. 62:8)., Pouring our complaints before Him (Ps. 142:2)., Casting all our anxieties on Him (I Pt. 5:7).
II. Why should we Pray ? Four reasons for Prayer (R.A. Torrey).
1. Because prayer is God’s way for us to obtain what we need from Him (Lu 11:3-13).
2. Because there is a devil, and prayer is a God-appointed way to resist him (Eph. 6:12 & 18.
3. Because prayer is the means God has appointed for us to find “grace to help in time of need” (Heb. 4 : 16).
4. Because prayer with thanksgiving is God’s way for us to obtain freedom from anxiety and to receive “the peace of God” (Phil. 4 : 6-7).
III. Character qualities of God : Compassionate, Gracious, Slow to anger, abounding in Love (Ps. 103 : 8).
IV. Promises for Prayer
1. God delivers us in times of trouble (Ps. 50 : 15).
2. To weary and burdened, He gives rest (Mt. 11:28).
3. Healing from sickness (James 5 :15).
4. We ask Him, we receive from Him (Mt. 7: 7,8).
5. We receive new strength, when we hope in Him (Is. 40:31).
6. Lack no good thing, if we seek Him (Ps. 34 : 10).
V. A call to Prayer
1. Pray on all occasions (Eph. 6:18), 2. Pray continually (I The. 5:17), 3. Devote yourselves to Prayer (Col. 4:2), 4. Lift up holy hands in Prayer (I Tim. 2:8), 5. Present your requests to God (Phil. 4:6), 6. Watch & Pray that you will not fall into temptation (Mt. 26:41).